MSA Gas Detectors – Portable & Fixed Gas Detection
MSA portable and fixed gas detectors are suitable for a broad range of markets and applications including the oil, gas and petrochemical industries, construction, mining, food and beverage – with hazardous area classifications and certifications for the global oil, gas and petrochemical industry.
MSA specialise in safety solutions for the detection and protection of workers within hazardous environments where combustible (flammable) and toxic gases and vapours may be present and gas leaks present a risk of danger from explosions, fire and harmful smoke.
MSA Gas Detectors
DETECTING TOXIC & FLAMMABLE GASES
Using Fixed & Portable Detectors
MSA offer both fixed and portable gas detectors to detect different toxic and flammable gases. The monitoring of hazardous gases and vapours in buildings and large plant facility areas is necessary in all branches of industry and MSA are one of the few suppliers of permanent gas detection technology that develops and manufacturers a complete range of gas detectors which can be integrated into system solutions.
MSA’s fixed gas detectors continually monitor an area for the selected gases or vapours and are permanently installed and range from the MSA 47K cost effective passive catalytic sensors to detect potentially hazardous concentrations of flammable gas and vapours in the air, up to the advanced CHEMGARD gas monitor which can monitor more than 60 gases in the TLV range, such as hydrocarbons, solvents, alcohols, alkanes and toxics. MSA also offer fixed flame detectors within the fixed gas detector range.
- 47K Series fixed passive catalytic sensor
- PrimaX I fixed gas transmitter
- PrimaX P fixed gas transmitter
- PrimaX IR fixed gas transmitter
- ULTIMA MOS-5 & ULTIMA MOS-5E fixed gas transmitter
- ULTIMA XL/XT Series fixed gas monitor
- ULTIMA X Series fixed gas monitor
- FlameGard 5 Series fixed infrared detector
- ULTIMA OPIR-5 fixed open path hydrocarbon gas transmitter
- GASSONIC OBSERVER-i fixed ultrasonic gas leak detector
- ULTRASONIC IS-5 fixed non-concentration gas detector
- 9010/9020 LCD fixed gas control system
- GasGard XL multi-channel wall mount controller
- SUPREMATouch gas and fire warning system
- CHILLGARD RT single or multipoint gas warning system
- CHILLGARD M-100 refrigerant gas sensor
- CHEMGARD fixed gas monitor
MSA ALTAIR Portable Gas Detectors
Portable gas detectors can be used for personnel protection and confined space entry clearance measurements – available in single gas detectors or multi-gas detectors capable of monitoring for up to 6 different toxic and flammable gases.
- MSA ALTAIR portable single gas detector
- MSA ALTAIR PRO high performance portable single gas detector
- MSA ALTAIR 2X portable gas detector
- MSA ALTAIR 4X portable multigas detector
- MSA ALTAIR 5X portable multigas detector
- SIRIUS PID portable photo ionisation detector
MSA ALTAIR 5X Portable Multigas Detector
MSA ALTAIR 5X is the most advanced sensor available capable of monitoring 6 individual toxic and flammable gases and vapours and has XCell Sensor Technology with PID option. The ALTAIR 5X multigas detector monitors for combustible gases in the % LEL and/or % volume range, O2 and toxic gas detection and has a rugged, rubberised polycarbonate housing which ensures the device is protected from drop damage.
With it’s ergonomic design, glove friendly buttons and a high contrast display the ALTAIR 5X is an ideal gas detector for industrial applications. The ALTAIR 5X features state of the art technology with MSA’s XCell sensors which have superior stability, accuracy, repeatability and a typical life more than double of the industry average. The sensors faster response and span calibration times save time, calibration gas, maintenance result in cost savings and more importantly saving lives.
ALTAIR 5X can also be equipped with advanced PID options for VOC detection and uses a variety of IR sensors and ranges including Cl₂ and NH₃ O₂, CO/H₂S (and variants) , CO/NO₂, CO-HC and SO₂.
- Sensor response and clear times in less than 15 sensors for most common sensor configurations
- Bump test in less than 15 seconds for most common sensor conﬁgurations
- Span calibration time of 60 seconds for most common sensor conﬁgurations
- Greater signal stability and repeatability under changing or extreme environmental conditions
- Plug and play XCell sensors
- Typical life greater than 4 years or 3 years (NH₃ and Cl₂ sensors)
- MotionAlert feature for confined space monitoring – MotionAlert activates when a user becomes disabled and motionless, quickly alerting others as to the user’s location.
- InstantAlert feature to manually warn others of potentially hazardous situations.
MSA ALTAIR 5X Portable Multigas Detector
Gustavo Lopez from provides an overview of this revolutionary multigas detector, which features XCell Sensor technology.
MSA – FIXED & PORTABLE GAS DETECTORS Applications
Fixed and portable gas detectors are used to detect flammable or toxic gases and also to monitor oxygen depletion levels to ensure the safety of workers within the environments. Whilst fixed gas detectors offer a permanent solution to monitor an area, portable detectors can be used as a method of alerting users to dangerous concentrations of gases and toxins within confined spaces and can used to help identify the location of gas leaks.
MSA GAS DETECTION WITHIN THE Oil & Gas INDUSTRY
MSA have the detection, protection and escape integrated safety solutions to serve your needs – keeping workers and plant safe all year round from hazards such as:
- Combustible and toxic gases and vapours
- Gas detection in Zone 1 and Zone 2 hazardous areas
- Oxygen deficiency or enrichment
- Gas leaks
- Explosions, fires and harmful smoke
- Falling objects and knocks on machines or pipes
- Fall from height and slips
- High noise levels
- Detecting flammable gas in potentially explosive atmospheres
- Dirt or other particles dangerous for the eyes
- UV radiation
- Chemical splashes
MSA was established in 1914 and grown to become a global leader in the development, manufacture and supply of a full spectrum of safety products for industrial environments to protect people and facility infrastructures. As well as fixed and portable gas detectors, MSA specialise in personal protection equipment such as head, eye, face and hearing protection, self-contained breathing apparatus and thermal imaging cameras for use within the oil, gas, petrochemical, construction and mining industries.
As of 2014 MSA generated revenues of $1.1 billion and employ more than 5,000 people worldwide with headquarters in Pittsburgh, USA and more than 40 international locations.
Since 1985 T&D have serviced the UK and world markets with an extensive range of Electrical, Mechanical, Process & Instrumentation Equipment – our Export Department is staffed by a team of professional sales engineers, sourcing specialists, expeditors and customer service advisors.
T&D global project experience has enabled us to build a solid reputation for the reliable supply of brand leaders – we consolidate your supply chain by providing single-source logistics to any international destination.
See how Thorne & Derrick service and support our key global markets and hazardous area industries in the following SlideShelf of Industry Infographics.
- Measurement – Temperature, Humidity, Pressure, CO2
- Gas Detectors (Industrial), Leak Detection (Refrigerant) & Analyzers
- Heat Tracing Systems & Trace Heating Cables
- Heaters – Drum, IBC, Tank, Immersion & Process
- Valves, Gauges, Sensors & Monitors
- Meters – Flow, Water, Gas, Heat & Energy
- Surface Heating Elements, Mats & Pads
- Hazardous Area Power Distribution, Lighting & Enclosures