How to Achieve Energy Efficiency With Carbon Reductions by ATEX LED Lighting Upgrades
Published 20 May 2020
uploaded by Chris Dodds | Thorne & Derrick Sales Marketing Manager
lIGHTING Hazardous Areas
There is an international trend in the global hazardous area industry sector to upgrade conventional ATEX lighting to use energy-efficient LED lighting technology.
The specification and installation of LED lights, such as Raytec SPARTAN, will significantly reduce annual energy consumption and lower carbon emissions. The LED lights will also lower light pollution and reduce maintenance costs.
Reducing Your Carbon Footprint By Several Shoe Sizes
Furthermore, businesses are proactively aligning their hazardous area lighting upgrade with sustainability strategies to reduce carbon emissions and support ambitious carbon neutrality targets agreed by the EU in 2019 – the upgrade and investment in LED lighting by business in pursuit of zero emissions status by 2050 has led to several multinational companies to accelerate the replacement of now retrograde fluorescent type lights with modern-technology light-emitting diode (LED) light fittings.
In the drive to go green the fading glow of traditional light fittings is fastly being replaced by the brilliant “White Light” illumination of energy efficient, modern technology light-emitting diode (LED) lighting systems.
Switching-off & Switching-out
We can help you Design your Lighting Scheme and here is how:
- Full Site Modelling – a 3D design plan is used to provide you with a visual representation of what the final installed hazarodus area lighting solution with actually look like, demonstrating the lux levels and spread of light that will be achieved on scene.
- Lighting Design Video – Thorne & Derrick and Raytec can produce video designs of your final lighting scheme. Providing a 3D walk-around offering a real life insight into how the installation will perform – from all angles.
- Illuminance Mapping – 2D and 3D hazardous area lighting plans can also be provided in a pseudo colour view, providing illuminance mapping of the intensity and spread of the light output across the site. This is used to show that the area has been evenly illuminated which is crucial for achieving the highest level of safety and security.
- Lighting Positions – Raytec lighting is highly targeted, providing only the right amount of light needed on scene for maximum efficiency and minimum waste. Plotting the beam direction shows the precise aiming point of each LED panel, the angle of elevation and exact position of each luminaire.
- High Performance – latest SMT LED technology delivering hazardous area lighting with high lumen output of up to 9,000 lumens
- Emergency Lighting – SPARTAN is available as emergency light fitting with battery back-up to deliver light when it is needed most, and can even be upgraded to an emergency fitting on site
- Operating Temperatures – suitable for a wide variety of installations from -52°C to + 55°C and rated for T4/T5/T6 environments
- Angle Options – 8 beam patterns from 10° to 120° both circular and elliptical
- Flexible Installation – integrated PSU can be removed and located remotely at ground level for limited access areas. Up to 100m (328ft) away from the light fitting
- Fully Serviceable – modular design and removable PSU and LED modules for easy installation, maintenance and inspection
- Quality Lighting – designed and manufactured in the UK to the highest standards including both ISO9001 & ISO14001. SPARTAN light fittings and fixtures are all provided with an industry leading 5 year warranty
- Energy Efficient & Savings – significant running and maintenance savings compared to traditional fluorescent lighting technology while maximising light output. CoolXtrude thermal technology provides heat dissipation up to 60% better than other LED lights
- Full Lighting Design Service – T&D working with Raytec offer both aa ATEX Certified hazardous area lighting design service and an energy and cost saving report to all customers. Photometric files are also available for SPARTAN light fittings (.ies & .ldt)
- White-Light & Infra-Red – SPARTAN is also available as an Infra-Red light fitting for use with surveillance cameras located in hazardous area workplaces – distances up to 320m (1,050ft)
Further Raytec Reading
- LED Lighting for Offshore Wind Farms | The Raytec SPARTAN Lighting Range
- Guide To Selecting The Correct Raytec Spartan ATEX Lighting | Zone 1 & Zone 2
- Identifying Zone 0, Zone 1 & Zone 2 Hazardous Areas | Raytec Lighting
- Hazardous Area Lighting | Raytec SPARTAN Flood Emergency Light Fittings
- Thorne & Derrick & Raytec | Together Safely Lighting Hazardous Areas
Pictured Left to Right: Callum Ryder (Marketing Manager – Raytec), Natalie Lundie (Social Media & SEO Marketing – T&D), Chris Dodds (Sales & Marketing Manager – T&D), Richard Derrick (MD – T&D), Terry McDonald (Business Development Manager – T&D) and Barry Thompson (Raytec – Director of Hazardous Area Division).
You can Follow our Showcase Page on LinkedIn to receive updates about more hazardous area product innovations, industry news, whitepapers, videos, technical tips and training webinars for professionals involved in the explosive atmosphere industries.