Panelboards for Hazardous Areas | Combined Power & Data Panelboard Into Single Stainless Steel Enclosure
Published 25 Sep 2019
Panelboards for Hazardous Areas
Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel
Class I, Zone 1 IIB+H2, and Class I, Division 2, Groups B, C, D Certifications
The Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel is the first hybrid panelboard for hazardous locations. This solution combines power and data into a single steel enclosure serving as a single point of control for both power and fiber communication cables to help users achieve significant savings – help users save up to 77% in installation, commissioning and maintenance costs.
“We conducted extensive research with end users and customers and found that many have struggled with the complexity of routing hundreds of feet of dedicated power and fiber cables from separate enclosures. They want a simplified, cost effective connectivity solution to accelerate their adoption of IIoT technologies into their operations,” said Mark Garton, senior product marketing manager, Emerson Automation Solutions. “The Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel fills that unmet need in the marketplace by centralizing control of electrical circuits and communication patch panels in one enclosure located in the hazardous areas, resulting in reduced cabling costs, increased power safety, greater configuration flexibility and a more reliable IIoT infrastructure.”
The Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel incorporates Belden MIPP fiber splice boxes that minimise installation time for fiber patching and enable hassle-free access during routine maintenance. It provides easy access for organizing and managing up to 12 ST (Straight Tip connector), SC (Subscriber Connector) and LC (Lucent Connector) type fiber connections, making it ideal for use in a wide range of industrial networking applications requiring maximum system reliability and flexibility.
The Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel simplifies IIoT in petrochemical plants, chemical plants, wastewater treatment centers, pulp/paper facilities, corrosive indoor and outdoor environments, or where flammable gases or vapors are present.
Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel
Features & Benefits
- Provides indoor and outdoor protection and control of electrical circuits in hazardous environments such as petroleum and chemical plants, refineries, wastewater treatment plants, paper and pulp industries, and other process facilities
- Ideal for placement in wet, corrosive environments or where flammable gases or vapors are likely to be present
- Suitable for use on applications where both power and communication wiring is required
- No external conduit or cable seals required thus making installations faster, easier, and less costly
- Ground-breaking design that uses individual breaker housings to minimize the downtime and costs associated with servicing circuit breakers in hazardous locations
- PlexPower™ breakers accommodate off-the-shelf breakers, making replacements readily available
- Standard models offer 12 circuit and 24 circuit panelboard configurations, internal actuators, dead front for internal actuation and standard hard drawn, tin plated, copper bus bar for superior corrosion resistance
- Branch circuit breakers available in single pole. Current ratings on branch breakers is 120/240 Volts, 60 Amps maximum
- Breaker modules supplied with stainless steel bolts, ground and or neutral bars and external/internal ground lug
- Branch and main breakers can be padlocked in either the “On” or “Off” position
Driven by the need for improved efficiencies, applications in the petrochemical industry will greatly benefit from this hybrid cabling technology. It will help to automate operational management of boilers, tanks, pumps, control valves and meters with intelligent sensors that collect maintenance and flow information, among other data.
Like the original Appleton PlexPower Series panelboard, the new Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel uses circuit breaker modules that provide explosion-proof protection for standard off-the-shelf breakers, eliminating the need for a heavy-cast enclosure.
Component-level protection means the panelboard enclosure is lighter, more compact and easier to install. Breakers can be easily replaced, upgraded or added in the field with no bolted cover to remove, no need for sealing or rewiring and no danger of compromising flame path integrity. The enclosure is 316L stainless steel featuring stainless steel hardware and a hard drawn, tin-plated, copper bus bar for corrosion resistance and maximum reliability.
The Appleton PlexPower Fiber Panel is available with multiple design options, giving end users flexibility and convenience in configurations, with a smaller, lightweight footprint.
- NEC/CEC Certifications and Compliances – Class I, Zone 1, AEx d e op pr IIB+H2 T3/T5 Gb; Ex d e op pr IIB+H2 T3/T5 Gb; Class I, Division 2, Groups B, C, D; Class II, Division 1, Groups F, G; Class III; IP66; Type 4X
- Standard Materials – 316L stainless steel enclosure with stainless steel hardware and hard drawn, tin plated, copper bus bar
- Operating Temperature – -20ºC to +40ºC (-4ºF to +104ºF)
ELECTRICAL & PROCESS INSTRUMENTATION EQUIPMENT
FOR EXPLOSIVE ATMOSPHERES
Thorne & Derrick International, based in the UK, are Specialist Distributors of Hazardous Area & Explosion Proof Equipment with IECEx & ATEX Certifications to the onshore and offshore oil, gas, petrochemicals and process industries.
Key Product Categories: Control Panels | Plugs & Sockets | Isolators | Enclosures & Junction Boxes | Lighting | Control Stations | Motor Starters | Heat Trace Cables & Systems | Gas Detection & Detectors | Fire Detection & Detectors | Heat Detectors | Electrical Heating & Heaters
Also Process Instrumentation Products: Ashcroft Pressure Gauges | ASCO Valves | Katronic Flow Meters | KROHNE Flow Meters | VEGA Level Sensors | Rotronic Temperature & Humidity Sensors | SIKA Pressure Gauges