Roof & Gutter Heating – Snow & Ice Melting : Thermon RGS Heating Cables
Thermon RGS Heat Trace Cables – Trace Heating
Roof and gutter de-icing heating cables prevent ice dam formation on roofs ensuring safe free flowing of melt water through gutters and downspouts to ground level. The heating cables prevent ice dams from forming on inclined roofs, in gutters and in downspouts – roof de-icing cables should not be used as a general snow-melting system to clear roofs from ice and snow build-up in winter.
Roof & Gutter Heating
- Nominal Supply Voltage : 110-120 VAC or 208-277 VAC
- Circuit Protection : 30mA ground fault protection required
- Minimum Cable Bend Radius : At -15ºC 10mm ; at -60ºC 32mm
- Nominal Power Output at 0ºC (32ºF) : In snow & ice – 12 w/ft (39 w/m). In dry air – 6 w/ft (20 w/m)
Thermon RGS self-regulating trace heating cables increase power output as temperatures falls to provide guaranteed frost protection of roofs and gutters.
T&D can provide expert technical support and design services for roof and gutter trace heating systems – the length of the roofline does not determine length of heating cables required. Roof design, roof size, gutter and downspout locations and number of sides of a typical, peaked roof to be protected from snow and ice needed to be considered.
roof heating de-icing cables
The heating cables are installed over unheated roof sections, usually the roof area above the overhang ensuring water flowing onto the unheated roof area will be able to flow safely to the ground. Melted water which cannot adequately drain away from the roof will form pools which in turn can penetrate seams and joints in gutters and flat roofs. Installing heating cable in roof valleys, gutters and downspouts established ice-free flow pathways for water to drain completely from the eaves and gutter.
HEATING Roof Overhang Only
- Refer to the Thermon RGS Design Guide (download opposite) to determine appropriate roof heating cable lengths required, as well as spacing pitch required for various roof overhang distances and roofing types.
- Attachment clips should be anchored to the roof/fascia with fasteners or adhesive suited for the roof and the weather. A waterproofing sealant should be used wherever screws penetrate the roof or fascia.
- Where large roof areas will be present above the heating cable a snow fence should be installed to prevent damage to the cable from sliding snow and ice.
Heating Gutter and Downspouts Only
- Refer to the Thermon RGS Design Guide (download opposite) to determine appropriate heating cable lengths required for gutters and downspouts.
- Attachment clips should be anchored to the fascia/ gutter edge with fasteners or adhesive suited for the roof and the weather. A waterproofing sealant should be used wherever screws penetrate the gutter or fascia.
- Heating cables should be attached to the bottom of the gutter with aluminum tape – ensure the bottom surface of the gutter is clean to promote adhesion of the tape. Heating cable in the downspouts should not extend past the downspout opening to prevent vandalism.
- Protect roof trace heating cable from sharp edges of gutter and downspouts.
Heating Roof Overhang Plus Gutter & Downspouts
- Refer to the Thermon RGS Design Guide (download opposite) to determine appropriate heating cable lengths required.
- Attachment methods outlined apply to installing heating cable on both roof overhang and gutter/downspout areas.
Thermon RGS Heat Tracing Cables
Thermon video providing an overview of best practices for installing heat trace cables to both industrial and hazardous area location pipework. Video covers heat trace cable selection, testing, inspection and pipework preparation prior to installing cables to pipes, valves, flanges and un-insulated pipe supports.
THERMON RGS CABLE CONSTRUCTION
Thermon heating cables provide temperature maintenance and frost protection to pipework and mechanical services in all industries – typical applications include heating process pipework, instrument lines and storage tanks to maintain viscosity or prevent frost damage as an integral work-task of plant Winterisation.
TRACE HEATING UK & INTERNATIONAL
➡ For complete technical, specification and ordering information about Roof & Gutter Heating Cables please browse the sections below.